John[_6_] John[_6_] is offline

Default District Court of Maryland - Public Info

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 13:59:15 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 4/19/2020 1:45 PM, B wrote:

In article ,
says...

What is the "Military/Servicemembers Civil Relief Act Document" all about?

John, they get that out of the way upfront. It prevents a trial going
too far along in the process and then the defendant claiming civil
releif. It us a nibet savubg ussye,

It's a document typically filed by the plaintiff's attorney in the
normal course of a lawsuit.

Under the Military/Servicemembers Civil Relief Act a court
cannot enter a default judgement unless the plaintiff files
an affidavit stating whether or not the defendant is in
military service with supporting facts.

The requirement to file an affidavit becomes applicable
technically when the defendant fails to appear and
practically when the plaintiff files a motion for
default.

That's good to know, in case someone hits me with a lawsuit for something...I
guess.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!