BOB

Default "New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Can't say. Haven't been on Lake michigan. Minimizing weather is not
traveling directly from A to B , but changing course to take the waves
in a manner that maintains the highest degree of maneuveraqbility,
comfort or maybe even speed. Minimizing weather could also be changing
course to take advantage of safe passage on the lee side of an obstruct
(e.g island) On a trip it may necessitate having other waypoints
configured as contingency safe harbors. I guess it's not as clear cut
absolute as I made it sound, so YYMV. Sorry.

With regards to my boat, and where I boat, which I thought was near
where the bayliner 20 poster ran his boat, here's some example of what
I do.

For the 15 mile north-south I routinely travel from South Bass Island
to my Marina;

Heavy Wind/Water out of the south: Travel 1/3 SSW putting the weather
off the bow. Travel SSE 1/3 past the SW shore of Kellys. When you
enter the Sandusky Bay inlet you near shore and waves are dimished.

Heavy Wind/Water out of the North: Travel 1/3 SSW putting the weather
off the stern. Travel SSE 1/3 past the SW shore of Kellys. As you
enter the inley for Sandusky Bay, you will be in the lee.

Winds out of the west: The majority of weather is out of near shore.

Winds out of the east: Weather is off of the far shore. Rough for the
first three miles but seas are on the beam. Head SE to Kellys Western
Shore. Hug the shore, regain your breath, then hold on for that last
mile.

In article ,

wrote:

Bob Dimond-

Sorry, Gould, but I don't completely agree. First of all I'm not
telling
people to make a crossing in gale force winds. Second a small boat can
handle quite a bit IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MINIMIZE WEATHER ON YOUR BOAT!

df-

So how does one minimize weather on a boat? Say a 24' Sedan cruiser on
Lake Michigan?