View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2018
Default Think we screwed up

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 4/3/20 10:56 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote: Politics aside, I think maybe the collective actions taken by everyone, including government officials, have been an over-reaction driven by public fear and panic. The recommendations of scientists who's lifetime work has been studying epidemics and pandemics have driven the reactions. Their input is very important and valuable but it has to considered from the standpoint that it comes from a narrow field of view with limited regard to other factors like how their academic recommendations affect the overall economic status of the country. As more "granular data" is crunched, analyzed and announced to the public and to government officials, the situation seems only to worsen. Sweden took a different approach. They issued recommendations that those at high risk take precautions to isolate themselves. Logical, not emotional or panic driven. They recommended "social distance" protocols for the rest and hand washing, etc. They recommended avoiding groups of 50 or more. But, they did *not* shut down schools, businesses, restaurants, etc. for the rest of the public. They emphasized the responsibility the public has to avoid becoming infected as best they can while recognizing that over 80 percent of those who *do* become infected will recover, most with no need for hospitalization. As of this morning Sweden, with a population of just over 10 million, has 5568 confirmed cases with 308 deaths. Wondering if this approach would have been more appropriate. Interestingly, California seems to have successfully "flattened the curve" yet testing in California lags well behind other "hot spot" sections of the country. I suppose everyone is entitled to whatever conjectures float their boat. I have no idea how many in this country will die, and neither does anyone else. But...if it is less than some of the scientists predict, you can be sure Trump will take credit for less deaths than predicted.

Littlt ****bird you can't make this political.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/