Justan Ohlphart[_3_] Justan Ohlphart[_3_] is offline

Default Seasonal Flu

Wrote in message:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 03:18:46 -0400, "Mr. wrote:On 3/24/2020 9:20 PM, Keyser Soze wrote: On 3/24/20 8:51 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote: With all the focus on convid-19 and some of the dire warnings, little is said much about the regular, seasonal Flu. I looked up some info: The regular, seasonal Flu has peaked in terms of how many have caught it and is beginning to decline. But the stats are surprising. According to CDC estimates (USA): From October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been: 38,000,000 +IBM 54,000,000 flu illnesses 17,000,000 +IBM 25,000,000 flu medical visits 390,000 +IBM 710,000 flu hospitalizations 23,000 +IBM 59,000 flu deaths Another website with Flu statistics that also referenced data from the CDC had slightly lower numbers but still within the ranges shown above. Makes me wonder what the deal is with the corvid-19 virus (which is an entirely different virus). Total deaths in the USA as of this post totals 696 with confirmed cases of 53,276. At first blush, it would seem like corvid-19 is being way overblown in terms of it's threat ... OR ... there's more to this than we are being told. I don't believe we have even begun to get a handle on the number of COVOID-19 cases that are extant in this country, nor has the "season" for it come close to peaking. Another factor: the percentage of deaths attributed to the flu versus the percentage theoretically attributable to COVID-19. Let's say there are 45 million flu cases a year here, a number between 38 and 54 million, and 35,000 deaths, again an arbitrary number. A 1% death rate would add up to 450,000 deaths. The estimates for the total number of possible COVOID-19 cases in this country is higher than the numbers of flu cases, and the death rate is estimated to be much higher than the 1% rate for flu deaths. Also, apparently it is far more contagious than flu. I've had the various sorts of flu at least a half dozen times over the years. A couple of times it knocked me on my ass, but I survived. There are an awful lot of unknowns about COVOID-19. But, hell, we'll be through it by Easter, your Trump sort of says.It seems that what is driving the concern is the percentages of deaths(flu versus covid-19). Percentages producea different perspective than raw numbers. Flu looks like about a0.15 percent death rate where covid-19 looks like 1.5%. Yet the rawnumbers (about 35,000 versus 700) produces a totally differentperspective.I am starting to believe we are in for a very long, long ride.There are some reports of China's infection rate is beginningto climb again in the area of the initial "ground zero"which may suggest a second wave of the virus has begun.Is anyone surprised about China. You can only hide so long fromsomething like this. It started with one guy and one guy can start itup again until a significant number of the population is immune. If atotalitarian culture like China is having this problem, imagine whathappens in a free society. We are seeing here right now. People who are infected are fleeing NewYork and spraying the infection across the country at 600 MPH.

Destination Florida and points beyond. Our governer is doing a
****ty job at containment. Do you think New Yorkers care about
self imposed isolation? They wouldn't be here if they
did.
--
..

----Android NewsGroup Reader----