Keyser Soze Keyser Soze is offline

Default How do we compare?

On 3/24/20 2:47 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 08:35:57 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/24/2020 7:49 AM, John wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 01:13:09 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 13:43:13 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 12:41:49 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 07:39:21 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

The site below lists by country the number of cases per million population.
Comparing us, at 106/1M, to some of those countries with the 'superb' medical
systems make ours look pretty good. Trump did the right thing, and seems to be
continuing.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...IIsE#countries

Country Cases/1M Pop

USA 106
Sweden 191
Denmark 250
France 252
Switzerland 951
Netherlands 245
Germany 313

They did have a head start and they do have a higher population
density. New York will be a good test of the population density thing.
Those people in Manhattan have less than 400 square feet each to live
their whole lives. (based on pop density) My garage is bigger than
that.

I think Luddite shot some of that out of the water. We have just as high a
density in our population centers as those countries do.

Not if you take the US as a whole ... by a long shot. I agree the
density of Europe is like the I95 or I5 corridor but as soon as you
turn inward the density falls off fast. Even so except for Norway
Finland and Denmark most of europe is dark orange or red on this map
https://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/512popdn.pdf

You are a math whiz. A Sq/mi is ~2.6 sq/km
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_a...pean_countries

I said 'in our population centers'! Jeees.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

This thread has become confused. The comment I made earlier had
nothing to do with population density. It had to do with
one of Harry's assertions that the corvid-19 virus established
itself in countries in Europe *before* it was first confirmed
in the USA. He was trying to make the case that *that* is the
reason for their higher death rate per million population.

I presented dates of the first confirmed cases for several
countries including those that Harry routinely
likes to compare their superior health care systems to
that of the USA.

Bottom line ... the Corvid-19 virus was confirmed in the
USA weeks or in one case at least a month before it
was confirmed in his favorite countries in Europe.

Unfortunately the first cases in Washington State were in a nursing
home where the death rate was staggering but not unusual for a nursing
home. Those people don't expect to come out of there alive in the
first place.

Seeing the charts where most of the cases are in the elderly, does not seem
correct. I think the disease should be more evenly distributed.
Therefore there has to be a lot of undiagnosed cases. They will be mild,
so the younger are thinking it is something else and not getting checked.

You are correct...there are lots of undiagnosed cases.

And how do you know this? Now a medical expert?

I was agreeing with you. For the most part, access to the tests has been
restricted to relatively few of those with the severest symptoms and
hardly at all to those with mild symptoms. Ergo, there are a lot of
undiagnosed cases.