Default Some good news for a change

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:06:16 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/16/2020 11:53 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 07:33:43 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/16/2020 7:00 AM, Adorable Deplorable wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 20:57:06 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/15/2020 8:17 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 14:43:59 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 14:16:30 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 08:59:01 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 20:44:28 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/14/2020 4:59 PM,
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 14:10:24 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

I'm
not. I'm just pointing out that the sharks will be making big money off
this virus.

Congress just piled up $8.5 billion in the street. Don't you think
they intended for someone to come get it? If we were still waiting for
the government, we wouldn't have any kits.

And Congress (and Trump) are about to make up to another $50 billion
available.

Tests for corinavirus will be free.

Meanwhile, over in South Korea where they've been testing away,
something like 91 percent of the tests have been negative.

Sounds like a huge waste of money unless the test also looks for C-19
antibodies, indicating you have licked it and you are no longer a
problem.

I like Luddite's idea:

Feel like ****, test is negative, go to bed for two weeks.

Feel like ****, test is positive, go to bed for two weeks.

I suppose a test in the early stages would help folks decide to go home for two
weeks even if they didn't feel bad. But from what I've heard, folks without
symtoms should not be clogging up the lines.

The only value the test would have for me is to see if it is still
safe to go to my FIL's house but I wouldn't want to give him any kind
of crud, C-19, the flu or just a nasty cold. I am really not sure what
he would do if I got sick tho. I bet it is just a matter of time
before Meals on Wheels shuts down and he is really not supposed to be
driving himself.

If you can't drive, you can't drive. But, if you're able to drive and positive,
I'd mask up and take him the food. Just don't kiss him and make sure your hands
are clean!

I am sure that is what I would do, if I had to just leave it in the
driveway.

A lady on one of the other newsgroups had an interesting idea. How do
UV sanitizers work on viruses and is there an easy way to make one?
Maybe Richard has some experience with heavy duty UV light sources and
the appropriate enclosure.

One of the houses we had in Florida had large UV lamps in the air
handler for the AC system. They were on the main intake before the air
went through the filter and evaporator coil.

They were advertised as being efficient for killing bacteria but I am
not sure about viruses.

My A/C guy thinks they're great, or at least his profit margin is great, so I
let him put one in. I haven't had but one or two colds in the past eight or ten
years, so maybe they do some good. My last cold was on board a ship.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Apparently there are two major types. One type is
is a small UV lamp located near the evaporator coil and kills stuff that
condenses on it. They are not expensive.

The other type is a larger system designed to kill stuff in the
moving air when the air handler fan is running. These systems
are more costly.

I think to be effective this has to be a lot more powerful than the
black light you had in your dorm to light up the Grateful Dead
posters. I am sure a lot of the stuff they sell is not as effective as
sitting something in the sun for a few minutes.

Not the same animal. Those "black lights" are long wavelength (UV-A)
that is not harmful.

The ones used to kill germs and stuff are shortwave length. (UV-C)

In the world I came from we created UV radiation in a plasma
within a vacuum chamber. It was of wide wavelengths some of which
are harmful to eyes to look at but the type of glass used in the
"sightports" to view inside the chamber absorbed most of it.

They make LED UV lamps now for use in sanitizing systems like
those used in AC ductwork.

I thought about this a little more last night and I am thinking if I
see an old "20 pound turkey" sized microwave on the curb somewhere I
might grab it. I figure you could chuck all of the electronics inside,
keep the interlock switches. Put some reflective surfaces inside,
warped a little to spread the light around, including covering the
window on the door and put some of those U/V LEDS around inside. Maybe
a spring wound timer to run the light and off you go. Put your
packages or whatever in there and "cook" it 15 minutes or so.
If you wanted to get fancy you could have a rotating mirror array to
really spread the light around.
I do have a couple sheets of that "mirror" grade stainless in the
garage like you see in commercial bathrooms. The interlock switches
would save the user from U/V burns.