Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default Wow...serious impacts...

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/10/2020 12:17 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:

Several buddies have communicated their employers have okayed "work from
home" suggestions in order to avoid crowds, mass transit, et cetera.

The only thing in my memory that sounds a bit like this was when I was a
small kid and the polio vaccine hadn't been introduced...no one, and I
mean no one, went to the city's various swimming pools.

I wonder how long this corona mess is going to impacting us...

My mother contacted polio a couple of months after I was born.
She was hospitalized and for a while was almost completely paralyzed.

She recovered eventually but was afflicted by weak muscles in one
leg for the rest of her life. Any amount of over-exercise, walking
too much or whatever caused her problems.

I have a vague memory of the family doctor being summoned to see me
because I became sick with something and developed a stiff neck. In
those days family doctors made house calls with their little black
medical bags.

At the time a stiff neck and inability to touch your chin to your
chest was one of the symptoms of polio. I was fine but it scared
my parents. Must have been when I was about 3 or 4 years old just
before the polio vaccine was approved for use in 1955.

They use to sell polio insurance. I remember the signs as a kid going to
Clear Lake. We had a neighbor in the next block who was in an Iron Lung.
I remember visiting, but was probably only 5 or 6. Never knew what
happened to her. We were early in he Salk vaccine distribution. I think
the first round was injection, and the 2nd was sugar cubes. Mom was an RN,
so most likely was kept in the loop early.