Keyser Soze Keyser Soze is offline

Default Wow...serious impacts...

On 3/10/20 1:43 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/10/2020 12:17 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:

Several buddies have communicated their employers have okayed "work
from home" suggestions in order to avoid crowds, mass transit, et cetera.

The only thing in my memory that sounds a bit like this was when I was
a small kid and the polio vaccine hadn't been introduced...no one, and
I mean no one, went to the city's various swimming pools.

I wonder how long this corona mess is going to impacting us...

My mother contacted polio a couple of months after I was born.
She was hospitalized and for a while was almost completely paralyzed.

She recovered eventually but was afflicted by weak muscles in one
leg for the rest of her life.Â* Any amount of over-exercise, walking
too much or whatever caused her problems.

I have a vague memory of the family doctor being summoned to see me
because I became sick with something and developed a stiff neck.Â* In
those days family doctors made house calls with their little black
medical bags.

At the time a stiff neck and inability to touch your chin to your
chest was one of the symptoms of polio.Â* I was fine but it scared
my parents.Â* Must have been when I was about 3 or 4 years old just
before the polio vaccine was approved for use in 1955.

We had one guy in my junior and senior high school classes who
contracted polio and had to wear a leg brace. Great guy, really smart, too.