Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Wow! Virus Testing

On 3/2/2020 8:41 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 18:33:36 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 3/2/20 6:28 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/2/2020 6:16 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/2/20 6:03 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Watching the press conference update on the coronavirus issue.

A few days ago only a limited number of the "test kits" were
available here in the USA.

The CDC and other agencies have reached out to the private sector
for help and they are now saying that by the end of this week
a *million* kits will be available with more to come.

Should make some people really wonder if they want a
government-only run health care system.

Were you under the delusion government workers were putting together
the test kits?

Of course not.

The CDC and powers to be have also authorized the private companies to
self-test and certify the test kits for use with followup confirmation
to follow later.

In other words, cutting a lot of red tape in response to a potentially
serious crisis.

Ahh, self-test. Let the regulated set their own standards. Disaster looms.

What "disaster"? These are non-invasive tests and the worst case would
be false positives or false negatives. At this point I am not really
even sure why they are testing anyway. It appears the virus is not
contained and it is in the wild now. I suppose it gives the nursing
homes a better cause of death than the catch all they usually use,
COPD, in respiratory failure. (AKA, Can't Offer a Precise Diagnosis).

Given what is happening in other places in the world, I hope they can
test as many people at risk as possible. It's the only way to
contain the spread of it.

To *not* test and not quarantine as many as can be found to be infected
is inviting a major disaster. Same thing happened a while ago
with the measles (which can be deadly). Fortunately the outbreak
was contained and eventually died off.

https://www.avg.com