Default OT: Ancestry (not political)

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 15:57:00 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 14:20:08 -0500,
wrote:

I was surprised at how many English and Irish originally settled in
Southern Md in colonial times. They didn't seem to move around much
and for the old families there that is still pretty much true.

===

Travel was slow and difficult in colonial times. My dad's family
moved west from Connecticut because early family's were large, only
the eldest inherited, and Connecticut land was already spoken for by
the early 1800s. There was also a well defined route westward via the
Hudson and Mohawk rivers in NY, and later via the Erie canal.

My Texas/Oklahoma people seemed to go west right away after landing in
Georgia or the Carolinas I guess they just took the I-10 route and
missed the mountains. ;-)