Its Me Its Me is offline

Default #72

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 3:52:06 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 12:56:02 -0500 (EST), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Alex Wrote in message:
wrote: On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 21:43:26 -0500, Alex
On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 08:43:53 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote: I bought my CZ new from the CZ Custom Shop and before it
was shipped to my local gun store, I had the Custom Shop convert it
to SAO, among other "customizations," so it had no "double action
mode." You had to rack the slide to put a round in the pipe and
that, of course, would cock the hammer. At that point, if you
wished, you could flick on the manual safety, and "carry" cocked
and locked. I never did that. I carried in Condition 3 when I
carried. Usually, though, the pistol was kept in Condition 4...no
mag in the pistol, no round in the chamber, hammer down, aka "idiot
proof safe." === I can see an advantage to carrying with a
round in the chamber but with the hammer down - as long as the gun
has a double action mode
the first round. How do you get a round in the chamber without
cocking the hammer? Do you have to lower the hammer manually and
hope your thumb doesn't slip? That's how it works if you don't
have a decocker. Don't most DAs have a decocker?Not many.

He probably was thinking of da/sa

DAO has no use for a decocker and SA only should not be carried hammer
down on a loaded chamber in the first place. We have to be talking
about DA/SA.

With modern single action, should be able to carry hammer down on a loaded
chamber. The trigger lifts a striker in to position between the hammer and
firing pin has been required for at least 20 years. So a dropped firearm
would not discharge.

Even the old 3 screw Ruger Blackhawks can be refitted by the factory for free to have the striker (transfer bar) to make it safe to carry fully loaded.. However, reportedly it devalues the pistol and ruins its otherwise outstanding trigger. None of my 3 screws have the "upgrade". They are range queens and see no carry duty.