Default Ghost ships, crop circles, and soft gold: A GPS mystery in Shanghai

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:58:30 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 8:15:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:39:36 -0500,
wrote:

Yet another navigational hazard:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/614689/ghost-ships-crop-circles-and-soft-gold-a-gps-mystery-in-shanghai/?utm_medium=10today.ad3li.20191115.421.1&utm_sourc e=email&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=10-for-today---4.0-styling

It didn't take a lot of imagination to propose that you could screw
with GPS. It does call into question how well GPS targeting of
missiles will work against a savvy enemy. They might just guide them
all out into the ocean. OTOH the propaganda value might be in blowing
up hospitals and churches.

That's probably not too far behind, but that's not what I read in the article.

What it sounded like in the article is that the AIS systems in the ships were being spoofed to report false locations. If the entire GPS system was being spoofed ALL the locations would be jumping around. It sounded like just some ship's locations were. That would be just the AIS signals.

Since the GPS signal is coming from satellites, scrambling that with ground stations would effect everything in the area, both enemy and friendly devices. That would seem to play havoc on everyone. You can bet that if it's possible to screw with the guidance systems on missiles, they are also designing some smarts into the guidance systems to negate that possibility. Unlike your smart phone, wifi router and PC OS, the military is somewhat ahead of the hacking curve.

You are right, I didn't pay that much attention to exactly what was
hacked but anything electronic can be hacked and I don't have that
much confidence in the government to anticipate everything that os
possible. We always fight the last war. In fact even in the consumer
hacking world, all of the "fixes" are after the hack, not before it.
If they knew they had a vulnerability, they wouldn't have written it
that way in the first place. The only salvation is if the White Hat
hacker finds it before the Black Hat guy.