Its Me Its Me is offline

Default Sold my Akoustis (AKTS)

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 1:05:55 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/8/2019 12:02 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 19:29:19 -0500, Alex wrote:

wrote:
Stock has not been behaving well lately and I decided to take my
profits and run.

I still like Skyworks (SWKS) however.

I'm accumulating DISH.

===

Unless DISH gets into the 5G business I think they'll lose their
competitive advantage over time. It seems likely to me that the
future of home entertainment is with high speed internet streaming.
The question is who will be best positioned for delivery.

Based on what I've read it will be a while before 5G becomes available
in rural areas. High density, city markets will be getting it first.
It's already available in sections of about 30 cities nationwide.

It will also require consumers to upgrade to new devices capable of
processing 5G and I suspect they won't be cheap. But, in time, it
certainly appears to be the future, putting cable, fios, Dish and
Direct TV on the heap of obsolete technologies.

5G is deployed in three different bands... low, mid, and high. Low band is the slowest but each cell has a large footprint. It's what 4G/LTE uses now for the most part. Mid band is, well, in the middle. It's the high band 5G that is blazing fast with ultra-low latency, but each cell only covers about a square mile, it doesn't penetrate walls very well, and even trees can mess up your signal. It will take years to get 5G coverage past suburban areas out to the more rural ones, and right now most cable data rates are faster than low band 5G. I think cable/fiber will be around for a long time in the suburban to rural areas. Besides, the data rate on my cable service has tripled in the last 2-3 years when they went all digital (no more TV channel RF), and a tech told me it would double again soon, all at no additional cost to me.

"Low-band spectrum can also be described as sub 1GHz spectrum. It is primarily the spectrum band used by carriers in the U.S. for LTE, and is quickly becoming depleted. While low-band spectrum offers great coverage area and penetration, there is a big drawback: Peak data speeds will top out around 100Mbps."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-5g/