Default Hurricane

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 08:29:07 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 9/5/19 8:16 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/5/2019 7:54 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 9/5/19 7:39 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/4/2019 9:00 PM, Its Me wrote:
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 8:41:05 PM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/4/2019 7:58 PM, Its Me wrote:
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 20:58:09 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 8:55:21 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite
wrote:
So now it looks like the forecast path has changed.

My son and his family in Mt. Pleasant, SC could be
wacked pretty badly if it follows the new path.
Their house is 1.5 miles from the ICW and under
3 miles from the ocean, all on low laying land.
The elevation of their house above sea level
is 9.82 feet!

I just texted him and suggested it might be time
to consider getting out of dodge.

Does he have a plan to get out, and where is he going?Â* My crazy
BIL has decided to "ride it out" on James Island, so we now have
two bedrooms with queen beds and some room for a day or two.Â* If
that's an option, we can figure out a way to exchange info.
3452471 at gmail.com should work, just let me know you sent
something.Â* I don't check it.

They're in good shape. Their main house is inland. They've got
the boats out and inland also. Thanks
for that offer thought. We're going down on the 14th rather than
the 5th. "Discretion is the better
part of valor...and all that."

LOL!Â* John, the offer was actually for Luddite's son and his
family who live in Charleston.Â* I knew you and your family was
OK.Â* If you are ever in need, the invitation is good for you, too!

I missed your offer but thanks.Â* Last I heard my son's wife and the
three kids still living with them are heading out to someplace in
Columbia where their oldest daughterÂ* attends the
University of South Carolina.

My son is going to hunker down at the liquor store he has in Mt.
Pleasant.Â* It's a couple of miles inland from his house and on
higher ground.

I have a great deal of sympathy for him.Â* One daughter, 19 years old
in college who has met a guy and they have marriage plans when they
graduate, a 16 year old daughter who will soon be choosing a school
and then, paternal twins, 7 years old, one girl, one boy.

He and his wife have a long ways to go.

Very good.Â* They'll be safe in Columbia.Â* Forecast is for up to 1
inch of rain tonight and ~20mph winds, gusts to 35.Â* No big deal.

Fortunately even the coastal areas are dodging a bullet.Â* There will
be some damage and flooding, but much of the punch has left the storm.

Yes, your son has some road left to travel.Â* If you don't mind, post
the name of his store.Â* I have a friend that lives in Mt. Pleasant
who also happens to be riding it out.Â* I'll let him know about the
store so he can stop by sometimes.Â* He likes top shelf bourbon.

His store is called "Palmetto 80 Liquors".Â*Â* The original store is in
a shopping complex called "Shoppes at Seaside Farms", located off the
Isle of Palms Connector road.Â* Address is:

Palmetto 80 Liquors
1985 Rivera Drive #102, Mt Pleasant, SC

He just opened a second store but I have no clue where it is.Â* The
stores are known in the area as being more upscale and
he stocks a lot of top shelf and hard to find booze.Â* It's not anything
like the typical small liquor stores you find in the various strip
malls down there.

The original store has won repeated awards, including "Best in Mt.
Peasant" and "Best in Charleston Area".

His only headache is that liquor stores in SC are very highly regulated
by the state in terms of obtaining a license, operating hours and
vendor/distributorÂ* contracts.Â* The state dictates when the store can
open, when it has to close and even dictates when he *has* to be open.

---

Most states have regulations concerning the sale of drinking alcohol.
In Massachusetts, for example:

Grocery and convenience stores can sell beer and wine from 8 a.m. to
11 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Restaurants and bars can serve from 8
a.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Saturday. No alcohol sales begin before
noon on Sunday.

It’s illegal to sell alcohol on any election day while polls are open.

Happy hours are illegal in the state. In addition, Massachusetts
alcohol laws prohibit retailers from passing on their bulk buy
discount to consumers. And like some states, Massachusetts has dry towns:

Alford, Chilmark, Dunstable, Gosnold, Hawley, Montgomery, Mount
Washington, Needham and Westhampton. These townships prohibit the sale
of alcohol.

For more about selling/buying booze in Massachusetts:

https://is.gd/LB0GdP

South Carolina has some unusual regulations (at least they are unusual
to me).Â* The state also regulates days and hours when you *must* be open
(in addition to when you must be closed).Â*Â* The state also regulates the
number of distributors you can deal with ... the longer you are in
business, the more distributors you can have.

Also, liquor stores in SC can only sell
hard booze and wine.Â* They cannot sell beer.Â* Part of that reasoning
is because food stores (supermarkets) can sell beer but not hard liquor.

---
https://www.avg.com

Liquor laws are wildly divergent state by state. I might still be a Life
Member of a "bottle club" in Topeka, Kansas, though I haven't been there
since about 1966.

I am probably still a life member at the Athens Strip in Dallas if
they are still around. That is where I turned 21. It was funny tho. I
had been drinking there the best part of a week when one waitress
decided to card me around 23:30 and told me I couldn't drink out of my
bottle until I was 21. At midnight I had a birthday party with a half
dozen strippers and my IBM buddies. It was probably my most
unforgettable birthday.