Tim Tim is offline

Default Fuel/Oil ratio for old Sea King?

Bill
wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2019 19:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

You actually don't need much of that. I had a friend growing up that
had a neighbor with a "collection" of those old single cylinder engines
that fired once every 4-6 revolutions. They have almost no compression,
and run just fine, sort-of. Similar to this:

http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/horizontal-single-cylinder-workshop-engine/

It was pretty cool to go over on a weekend and see him fire one up.

===

I think those were engines with "spark interrupter" governors. They
had big fly wheels with a lot of momentum. In order to maintain a
constant speed and prevent over revving, the governor would actually
disable the ignition until the speed came back down. I once saw a big
collection at a county fair in upstate NY, and they were a lot of fun
to watch. Running under load they'd generally fire on every
compression stroke.

---
https://www.avg.com

They were make-break ignition engines. And I think the intake valve was
kept open to prevent overspeed. They also disconnected the battery, so no
spark at same time. Was to save battery juice. The battery disconnect was
not on all engines. Make break had the points inside the combustion
chamber and no condenser to suppress the spark.

What got me was a lot of the old ww1 biplane radials were setthrottle (wide open) when the guy hit the prop you were gone! Anyhow, to control the engine you actually killed the Magnito and let off if it. Making the engine cut out then refire. Then Tom Seleck is in the dog fight in High Road To China, there’s a good demonstration of the cut-out technique.

Bye, Bill, yes there’s a local guy that has a “hit n miss” engine with the point breaker built in the head.