John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Woofer cable works

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 13:21:03 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 4/12/2019 1:08 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/12/2019 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 12:40:10 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 4/11/2019 8:36 AM, True North wrote: Last week there was a
discussion about contacting a sub woofer with a home theater system.
I needed a y type connector and after getting the wrong one at
Wally-Mart (3.5mm audio plug to two RCA male plugs). I returned that
and went to the Source. They still had an older one male RCA plug to
two male RCA plugs connector cable. Just what the doctor ordered.
Base now sounds fine without annoying pops or hum. That's good
except the Y connector should have one *female* RCA and two *male*
RCA plugs unless you also used a female to female coupler.** I think
that's what you meant.---This email has been checked for viruses by
AVG.
https://www.avg.com

He did mention that he had a "cable assembly" with 2 males on one
end and 1 male on the other.

That is what he said and I sort of understand it but I hope he doesn't
mean he fed the combined left and right channel "out" into the sub
woof "in". He has a mono now if he did because they are shorted
together.
I haven't really been following this that closely tho. My eyes glazed
over when they started talking about stereo systems approaching 10
grand. That is a nice outboard, that sounds better than any stereo to
me* ;-)

No.* Most 5.1 and 7.1 receiver/amps have a single RCA "subwoofer" output
that passes the combined bass from both main channels.* Bass isn't
"directional" so there's no need for two subwoofer outputs.

Most powered subwoofers (at least the ones I've had)* have *two* line
level inputs.* Sometimes one is labeled as "LFE" (low freq effects)
and the other is usually not labeled.** For best performance overall,
you put a "Y" connector that feeds the single sub-out on the
receiver/amp* to *both* of the line level (female RCA) inputs
on the sub.

Looks like in the link below. Doesn't mean *all* setups are like
this but everyone I've ever used is from the Velodynes to a Polk
to an inexpensive Sony sub.

https://funkyimg.com/i/2T6Kx.jpg

---
https://www.avg.com

Where the hell was that picture when I was messing with my Yamaha?