True North[_2_] True North[_2_] is offline

Default Woofer cable works

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 03:59:10 -0700 (PDT), True NorthÂ*
wrote:Â*

Its MeÂ*
Â*
Â*
"I read an article on how to build a media room. Â*When building a new house or doing an extensive remodel, you decouple your media room from the rest of the house. Â*It's mainly putting in twice as many 2x4's in the walls (8" centers) so that every other one is offset an inch or so side to side. Â*What that does is allow theÂ*

sheetrock on on side of the wall to be fastened to 2x4s that are not the same 2x4s that the other side of the walls sheetrock is fastened to. Â*The walls are decoupled, and with some insulation installed in the middle, the sound does not propagate through the wall nearly as much as normal. Â*If you were building a new home and moneyÂ*
wasn't an issue, apply the same principle to the floors and ceiling and you have a really quiet media room for both the peeps in there and the rest of the house. Â*Cool concept."Â*
Â*
Â*
Duh!Â*
That method of soundproofing has been around for a long time.Â*
Â*

"I am surprised an 8" concrete block wall is not better than it is. YouÂ*
can't hear any of the midrange or high tones but the sub woof stillÂ*
gets through. I wonder if that double framed wall is any better..Â*"

Up here they use a solid wall of concrete or blocks between town or row houses. Supposed to reduce noise between the units but with the offset framing it might help to use proper soundproofing baffles rather than cheaper fibreglass batts. As for which system is better...I'd probably ask my nephew for the latest info. He has a medium sized drywall and accoustical ceiling company that always seems busy.