John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Using pellets on a charcoal grill?

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:27:54 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 20:09:32 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 18:20:08 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:24:21 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 13:37:44 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 06:36:46 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Apr 2019 22:39:40 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 18:29:49 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 17:19:24 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
I know my grandmother had one and she screwed up everything that went
in there. I do understand why Harry doesn't like meat. He doesn't
understand how to cook it.

My grandmas used them to can tomatoes and other assorted vegetables.

I have one that I will steam green beans in but I only cook them about
30 seconds. They come out bright green and still firm without being
crunchy. Get the water boiling and the top hot, Throw the beans in and
close it up. As as soon as the pressure starts venting, take it off
the heat and start slowly letting the pressure off. In about 30
seconds dump the steam and get them out.

Yuck. Green beans should be cooked for at least an hour with a ham hock or two. Eat 'em, and then
drink the juice. You damn yankees never learned the proper way to cook green beans.

I know, that is what the hog jowls are for but some people around here
want something healthy.

Hog jowls are a little too fatty and don't have the flavor of smoked ham hocks.

That is why you reconcile yourself to throwing half of it away. If you
cut that top layer of fat with the rind off until you get to the meat,
it is not that fatty. You also need to be careful when you buy them.
Look for a good amount of meat in the jowl. They are not all created
equal. Some days I buy a few and freeze them. Other times I pass.

Not enough flavor for green beans, IMHO, unless they're smoked, which I've never seen. Ham hocks or
some chunks of smoked picnic are great.

The ones I but are smoked. There in the smoked meat section of the
store with the salt pork and packaged ham hocks.

That would work. Haven't seen them here, but haven't been looking. Now that I have a pound of smoked
jowl bacon from Four Oaks Farm, I'll have to find a way to use it.