Default Talking boating in a boat group...

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 10:39:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/26/2019 10:32 AM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
Sometimes I yearn for the good old days. Firing up a 50 HP Mercury
"Tower of Power" to go water-skiing with the 16' "run-a-bout".
The smell of the blue, unburned mixed fuel wafting in the air
and the oil slicks in the water at idle. Ah ... those were the
days.

---
https://www.avg.com

Some of that’s going to happen soon at my place. Only a 115hp “Tower..”

Yeah. When I was a kid a 50 hp outboard was a "big" one.

When I was a youngster (9-10 years old) I was fascinated with
outboard engines and had cutout pictures of all the current
manufacturer's models hanging on my bedroom walls. I remember
I wrote an essay for school on why Mercury was better than
Evinrude or Johnson with all kinds of technical reasons that
I probably made up. I ended it with a sentence that said
for those who disagree, "More Power to You" which was a
Mercury slogan back in the late 50's. I am sure the
woman teacher I had must have been amused but she gave me
an "A" on the essay, citing my clever use of a pun of sorts.

I remember when Merc came out with that whopping 100 HP. My mother's
boss had to have one (1959-60?)
He had it on a 17' Lone Star down at Port Tobacco Md and it was the
baddest boat on the water at that time. I doubt it did much more than
40 tho.