Default Heinz stock nose dives

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 12:58:29 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

Bill
"How well do tomatoes actually grow in your area. California supplies most
of the tomato products from my understanding. Where we used to have a duck
club, nearby was a Franko-American tomato paste plant. Smallest container
was 5 gallons. "

Ontario isn't "my area".
Tomatoes grow just fine here in the Maritimes and in Ontario.
They are better than the un natural oversized type we see from south of the border during our off season.

The problem with store bought tomatoes that are shipped very far is
the types they grow (very tough skins, firm interior so they don't
bruise) and the fact that they get picked green and are gassed red.
The problem here is, even if you can find real vine ripe tomatoes,
they are still usually those types of cultivar.
Our actual growing season for a northern variety is so short no
commercial operator will screw with them.
I keep saying I am going to grow some but I always forget until it is
too late. By now I should have plants with small green tomatoes on it.
By May- June, those northern varieties will burn up. I am zone 10a
maybe 10b.