Capt. Mooron

Default Never run downwind?

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

| Such a hopeless dreamer you are. You just can't seem to understand that
| carrying your way (momentum) only matters if the way is generated
| quickly. A big, heavy, full-keeler not only has more inertia to carry but
| it has more inertia to overcome. The bottom line is the lighter the boat,
| the faster the boat in light and heavy winds. If this were not the case
| race boats would all be big heavy tubs like your Nordica.

You discuss agility over power.... on a medium that favours power over
agility. Based on your misunderstanding of the basic comprehension of sea
states and variations in the uniformity of wind strength.... you erroneously
come to the conclusion that your lighter vessel can challenge the sheer
brute strength of a solid streamlined full keel cruiser. You speak of
inertia and yet have not seen or felt the acceleration and steadfast force
generated by a true blue water designed vessel. If you had to date been
exposed to such brute muscle... it would squelch your argument regarding the
delusional idea of your coastal cruiser offering any competition. Race boats
are bred for coastal waters and buoy races.... and as displayed by the
AC... have a tendency to fall apart in short order.

| You cannot expect your heavy voyaging boat to be fast. It isn't and
| it never will be. My Coronado 27 which is a mid-weight boat will leave
| your heavy boat behind in any winds of ten knots or less. In heavy winds
| going offwind your boat might be a little faster because of its longer
LWL.
| In heavy winds going upwind yours will definitely be faster because it
| has the weight and power to shoulder the seas.

Correct... I did not expect it.... like you, I assumed that lighter and
frailer construction would result in a faster, dinghy like performance......
what I found out is that the cruiser's efficient ability to transform wind
from a finicky, altering state into sheer directional power is what allows
me to easily pass the frailer vessels. The words "Authority", "Supremacy",
"Dominance", "Comfort" & "Security" spring to mind when one is aboard my
vessel. I could not only dispatch you in short order on any given point of
sail..... but I could do it even if we switched vessels.

CM