Simple Simon

Default Never run downwind?

Such a hopeless dreamer you are. You just can't seem to understand that
carrying your way (momentum) only matters if the way is generated
quickly. A big, heavy, full-keeler not only has more inertia to carry but
it has more inertia to overcome. The bottom line is the lighter the boat,
the faster the boat in light and heavy winds. If this were not the case
race boats would all be big heavy tubs like your Nordica.

You cannot expect your heavy voyaging boat to be fast. It isn't and
it never will be. My Coronado 27 which is a mid-weight boat will leave
your heavy boat behind in any winds of ten knots or less. In heavy winds
going offwind your boat might be a little faster because of its longer LWL.
In heavy winds going upwind yours will definitely be faster because it
has the weight and power to shoulder the seas.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
In light winds with a chute I maintain a steady overall speed due to
momentum... the C&C is subject to windspeed variations and was not able to
attain the progress I could. In a moderate breeze... lets say 10 to 15
kts.... the C&C had the advantage. Understand that this applied only to the
C&C27... it was stripped and rigged for racing..... any of the other
26/27/30 foot vessels would be left sucking my wake downwind in most
conditions. In winds in excess of 40 knots... all boats assume a position
aft of mine since they are overwhelmed by the conditions.

CM

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

| Talk about living in Lala Land!!!
|
| There is no way a heavy, full-keeled tub like yours is going to
| walk away from a C&C 27 in light winds. You must have
| been drinking way too much overproof that day.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| I found that to be true of the C&C 27 I sailed with up north. It was odd
at
| the time since all the fin keelers were favouring to keep up speed by
gybing
| downwind yet Bill kept his C&C27 wing on wing alongside my Nordica 30. I
| attributed it to his skills as a sailor. He could surf above his hull
speed
| while I did hull speed in moderate winds. A note of consideration is
that if
| both of us were flying our chutes in light air... I would walk away
from
| the C&C27 .... probably due to my longer waterline. Also.... I recall
the
| C&C27 to have a lower PHRF than my Nordica 30... mine was 180.
|
| I would still elect to gybe downwind in light air and/or high wave
| heights/confused seas if I was in a rush.... which I usually am not.
| Nonetheless... I would say I elect to wing on wing DDW about 90% of the
| time.
|
| CM
|

| wrote in message
| | On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:46:06 -0400, "Simple Simon"

| wrote:
| |
| | That is incorrect information for any displacement monohull where
| | it is always faster to run straight downwind.
| |
| | Baloney! An under canvassed tank like yours or Bobadil's might benefit
| quite a
| | bit from gibeing back and forth rather than going directly downwind. I
do
| better
| | going strait downwind, because I can put up the mylar main and 170
genoa,
| or a
| | spinnaker and take advantage.
| |