Capt. Mooron

Default Never run downwind?

I found that to be true of the C&C 27 I sailed with up north. It was odd at
the time since all the fin keelers were favouring to keep up speed by gybing
downwind yet Bill kept his C&C27 wing on wing alongside my Nordica 30. I
attributed it to his skills as a sailor. He could surf above his hull speed
while I did hull speed in moderate winds. A note of consideration is that if
both of us were flying our chutes in light air... I would walk away from
the C&C27 .... probably due to my longer waterline. Also.... I recall the
C&C27 to have a lower PHRF than my Nordica 30... mine was 180.

I would still elect to gybe downwind in light air and/or high wave
heights/confused seas if I was in a rush.... which I usually am not.
Nonetheless... I would say I elect to wing on wing DDW about 90% of the
time.

CM