John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Tailspin...

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 08:44:43 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 12/22/2018 8:36 AM, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 20:40:51 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 12/21/2018 8:22 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/21/18 6:27 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/21/2018 6:17 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:

Donald Trump began Thursday under siege, listening to howls of
indignation
from conservatives over his border wall and thrusting the government
toward
a shutdown. He ended it by announcing the exit of the man U.S. allies
see
as the last guardrail against the president’s erratic behavior: Defense
Secretary Jim Mattis, whose resignation letter was a scathing rebuke of
Trump’s worldview.
?At perhaps the most fragile moment of his presidency — and
vulnerable to
convulsions on the political right — Trump single-handedly propelled the
U.S. government into crisis and sent markets tumbling with his
gambits this
week to salvage signature campaign promises.??After Trump declared on
Dec.
20 that he wouldn't sign a funding bill without more border wall
money, the
House passed a bill that has slim chances of Senate approval.
?The president’s decisions and conduct have led to a fracturing of
Trump’s
coalition. Hawks condemned his sudden decision to withdraw U.S.
troops from
Syria. Conservatives called him a “gutless president” and questioned
whether he would ever build a wall. Political friends began privately
questioning whether Trump needed to be reined in.?

*From WashPost

A "a scathing rebuke"?* Hardly.* Mattis is far too professional for that.

Heh.* The liberal press at work again.

You didn't read/understand the letter.

I read it. I understand it. I agree with it. But it was far from
"scathing".

I agree, the letter was not 'scathing', but only because Secretary Mattis is too professional for
that.

But, I'll bet it doesn't portray his real feelings. He's too professional to air his grievances on
TV, but I'll bet he'd like to.

Mattis is a class act and smart as a whip. It's too bad he's leaving
but it's understandable.

This is a demonstration of the worst of Trump's personality. Although I
think he has done some good things his
ego makes him assume he knows and is an expert in everything. He's also
become as political as the rest of the loonies in Congress and is only
focused on shoring up his base for 2020. Oh well.

I'm ready to lose Trump.