Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default American diplomacy ....

On 12/7/2018 4:03 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/7/18 3:23 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/7/2018 11:59 AM, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 07:47:18 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

LBJ's Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in 1966 when French
President Charles DeGaulle announced that France was going to pull out
of NATO. DeGaulle said he wanted all US military out of France as soon
as possible.

Rusk responded, "Does that include those who are buried here?"
(referring to the 9,387 American military personnel buried at the
Normandy American Cemetery).

DeGaulle did not respond and left the room.

You could have heard a pin drop.

When in England, at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was
asked by
the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example
of 'empire building' by George Bush.

Powell replied, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of Its
fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond
our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for is
enough to
bury those that did not return."

You could have heard a pin drop.

There was a conference in France where a number of international
engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a
break, One of the French engineers came back into the room saying,
"Have
you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft
carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he
intend to
do, bomb them?"

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly:

"Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several
hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency
electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with
the capacity to feed an additional 3,000 people three meals a day, they
can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each
day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting
victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such
ships. How many does France have?"

You could have heard a pin drop.

A U.S. Navy admiral was attending a naval conference that included
admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French
navies at a cocktail reception. He found himself standing with a large
group of officers that included personnel from most of those countries.
Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks
when a
French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many
languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, "Why is it that
we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than
speaking French?"

Without hesitating, the American admiral replied,

"Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans
arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."

You could have heard a pin drop.

and lastly:

Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane.
At French customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his
carry on.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked
sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready." replied the
customs officer.

Mr. Whiting said, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible. Americans always have to show their passports on
arrival in
France !"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he
quietly
explained, "Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944 to
help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to
show a
passport to."

You could have heard a pin drop.

That's been around a good while, but is easily worth several
readings. I hope our three favorite
liberals read it.

Yeah, I had heard some of them before but when I saw this again I did
a little research to determine and verify if the stories are actually
true or are just urban myth.

They are true.

Which of these sagas have anything to do with the military service of
any poster in rec.bloats?

What part of your question has anything to do with what I posted?