View Single Post
  #20   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2016
Default Smoked Classic Porchetta

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 4:44:14 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:41:45 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

It seems that the problem isn't how fast (or slow) it turns, but rather it's not turning at all. If your burn cup is going out due to lack of pellets, it seems that there are only two primary reasons that would happen.

1. The controller fails to turn on the auger.
2. The auger fails to turn when told to.

I'm assuming that you've verified with a separate thermometer that the grill is dropping below the set temp and then auger does turn? Does the temp "run away", and then there is no need for pellets and the fire burns out before more heat is needed? You mention bridging... do the pellets have a tendency to bridge and the auger just runs out of pellets and then the grill goes out? Could the auger motor have a bad spot on the armature and it just doesn't start when it lands on that spot?

Just thinking out loud with some troubleshooting steps.

In order for it to be turning at the proper rpm, it has to be turning. I can measure that by setting
a temp and having no pellets in the bin.

I probably wasn't clear. It's obvious that it turns *sometimes*. The problem of it going out is intermittent, so maybe the problem is that it
intermittently doesn't turn?

Traeger mentioned that the pellets may be 'bridging' and therefore recommends stirring the pellets
every couple hours to prevent same.

No, I've not verified anything with a separate thermometer, except that the grill thermometer
accurately reads the ambient temp when I start the grill. That's the first check on the whole
system.

This latest controller seems to be doing the job - so far. Traeger controllers catch a lot of flak,
even on their Facebook page.

Hopefully this latest controller has fixed the problem for you.