Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default Smoked Classic Porchetta

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 20:16:08 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Tim wrote:
Bill
Its Me wrote:
On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 5:49:39 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 12:54:46 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 12:27:31 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
Do I want to give this a shot? Looks damn good, and I'd bet all the
fat from the pork belly would
turn that otherwise dry pork loin into a connoisseur's dream:

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...oked-porchetta

Wife brought a loin home yesterday, and I just checked with the local
Lowes Foods and they have pork belly. I'll be cooking one of these
tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please do! Our Costco carries both also.

Tim, John... I wanted to like it, but I just don't like the pork belly
that much. I followed their directions, and the loin is certainly moist
and tender, but the belly didn't render as much as I'd like. I've had
belly before and the fattiness of it just turns me off.

Trimmed of the excess fat and sliced up, it makes a pretty good sandwich.

John’s recipe probably requires a long, low slow cook, to render the fat.
I have had pork belly topped pizza and loved it. Did not seem greasy.
That was in New Zealand. So there has to be great ways to cook he big junk
of pork belly, instead of making it in to bacon. Admittedly the pork belly
I had several different ways in NZ and Australia was not big chunks.

Bill, I’d probably agree with you. I might be too impatient because I’m
not the type to watch a slow roast all day.

I do enjoy delicious and simple recipes. I just can’t spent all day
prepping and working an oven...

The nice thing about a pellet smoker is make sure there is a hopper full of
pellets and set the temperature. Go do other things for 6 hours or so.

I don't trust my Traeger that long. Had it shut down too many times. I
check it about once an hour
or so and give the pellets a stir every couple hours so they don't 'bridge'.

Contact Treager. Mine had the controller do some funky stuff and they sent
me a new one. Couple screws and plugs and easy replacement.