Tim Tim is offline

Default VHF vs CB Antenna?

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 4:47:49 PM UTC-6, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/27/2018 5:22 PM, wrote:

I have a uniden CB radio (new) and have an existing larsen wb vhf radio already on my truck. Will this antenna work with my new radio.
Derek

Can't determine without knowing what freq range the truck antenna is
"cut" for. There are two VHF bands, low-band VHF (49-108 MHz),
high-band VHF (169-216 MHz). Marine radios operate in the high band.

Generally it will receive ok but transmit range may be limited due to
high standing wave ratio (SWR).

Even a marine VHF antenna should be tweaked in terms of length to
minimize SWR in the middle of the radio's freq range.

I remember in the 'craze' the SWR meter was pretty popular, where you could tune a potentiometer to match the antennae to the radio for maximum efficiency.