Alex[_17_] Alex[_17_] is offline

Default Nuclear Fusion

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 11/17/18 2:23 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/16/2018 11:57 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 17:14:58 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Interesting article. Looks promising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

===

It does sound promising but workable fusion has been anywhere from 5
to 30 years away for a long time.

The Omega project at the Laboratory for Laser Energetics and the NIF
project at Lawrence Livermore National Labs are both pursuing
nuclear fusion among other things. Huge laser bays focusing
multiple, high powered laser beams onto a tiny pellet of deuterium
simultaneously
and only for a few microseconds. In the case of the Omega system the
power delivered on the pellet can be as high as 60 terawatts. The
larger NIF laser can deliver 500 terawatts. The instantaneous
temperature of the plasma created can be many times the temperature
of the sun but it still requires more energy "in" than it produces
"out". The NIF laser has achieved about one third the power required
for a laser induced nuclear fusion reaction.

I am certainly not one to judge but based on my limited knowledge of
this research, we are still a long, long ways to having viable nuclear
fusion reactors for home or local power generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ignition_Facility

Gosh, so I probably won't be able to buy a new toyota with a nuclear
fusion engine in my lifetime? Darn!

At your age, and health, you may not buy another car in your lifetime.
Darn!