Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default Nuclear Fusion

wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 23:57:37 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 17:14:58 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Interesting article. Looks promising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

===

It does sound promising but workable fusion has been anywhere from 5
to 30 years away for a long time.

That is the way I see it. We are damned good at an uncontrolled fusion
reaction tho.
We understand how to start them up. We just don't know how to do it in
a bottle. The problems make disposing of some spent fuel rods seem
trivial compared to fusion without blowing up the city if the plasma
gets away from you.

The plasma getting away, just seems to make the fire go out. I live the
next city over from the Lawrence Livermore Labs and they have been studying
fusion for a long time. They know very well how to make uncontainable
fusion. But getting a positive energy result out of the reactor is the
problem. They have got out more energy than they put in, but not enough to
pay for the process.
https://www.llnl.gov/news/nif-achiev...e-fusion-yield
Luddite can go back in to the business of making thin film energy capsules.