John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Yo Tim - or any knowledgeable individual

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:41:29 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 11/14/2018 6:23 PM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:
John H. Wrote in message:
So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the batteries were dead. The chargersaid they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the truck easily several timessince. However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I should replace them. You'vepraised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these:https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...c kType=G2The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn'twant to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. SoI could get them for about $160 each.Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's worth the extra bucks?

The batteries may have discharged due to an accessory or courtesy
light left on. A load test will tell you if your batteries are
still good. 4 years is a pretty good life span so I wouldn't
object to you changing them out if you want to. The longest I've
kept a boat starting battery in service is 9 years. That's
exceptional.

Although not a "deep cycle" marine type battery, the OEM battery in my
Ford F-250 lasted 8 years. I attribute it's long life to being part
of the "tow package" that included a heavier duty battery and alternator
to run the plow hydraulic pump.

When it went, it died a sudden death though.

I'm wondering if keeping the battery in the trailer charged and running the trailer lights, etc.,
may have shortened the life of the batteries. I suppose I could use the charger and get some more
time out of them, but I wouldn't want a repeat of the 'dead truck' when out on a camping trip
somewhere.

Besides, I'll be paying about $3500 less taxes this year, so I can afford to splurge.

Thanks, President Trump!