Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Well, of course, we knew that!

On 10/30/2018 10:56 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 15:42:39 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/30/2018 3:16 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 16:23:34 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/30/2018 10:05 AM, Tim wrote:

7:35 AMMr. Luddite
On 10/30/2018 6:25 AM, Tim wrote:
On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 8:09:56 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/29/2018 8:28 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:04:16 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/29/2018 5:53 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:

I don't know what the status of my grandparents was when they "landed"
here and got off the boats. Never discussed it with any of them. All
four of them became citizens at some point.

If they arrived by boat as my grandparents did in 1907, it's doubtful
that they entered the USA illegally. I recently came across my
grandfather's naturalization papers. He arrived from Sweden in 1907 at
the age of 17 and became naturalized in 1916. By then he was
married and had one son, my uncle, who was 10 years older than my
father. My uncle was a marine engineer. He and I shared the same
birthday (Oct 19th) although obviously he was here many years before
me.

More newcomers ;-)

(a little boating content)

Even found a picture of the ship my grandfather arrived on in Boston.

Also found his manifest ... he paid $10 for the voyage from Liverpool,
England via Greenland and then to Boston.

http://funkyimg.com/i/2MCaC.jpg

Interesting ship, Richard. I know those aren't sailing masks. Would
those towers be directional for shortwave or radio?

Probably. Records indicate it had "steam quadruple-expansion engines
geared to twin propellers".

I looked it up on Wiki and it turns out it had an interesting history
and fate.

The SS Ivernia was owned by the British Cunard line and was primarily
built to transport immigrants from Europe to Boston and New York. When
WWI broke out it was hired by the British government as a troop transport.

From Wiki:

"In autumn of 1916, William Thomas Turner (made famous for being the
captain of RMS Lusitania at the time of her sinking) was given command.

On 1 January 1917, the Ivernia was carrying some 2,400 British troops
from Marseille to Alexandria, when at 10:12am she was torpedoed by the
German submarine UB-47 58 miles south-east of Cape Matapan in Greece, in
the Kythira Strait. The ship went down fairly quickly with a loss of 36
crew members and 84 troops. Captain Turner, who had been criticized for
not going down with the Lusitania (even though he had believed he was
the last person on board), remained on the bridge until all aboard had
departed in lifeboats and rafts "before striking out to swim as the
vessel went down under his feet."

It’s a colossal amount of tonnage the U-boats put to the bottom of the sea.

I’m sorry the ship was sunk, and sorry for the loss of lives ....

The German sub, UB-47, sank 22 ships during WWI.

Was it torpedoed or shelled. Most of the Uboat WW1 activity was with the
deck gun from what I understand. Was not removed until sometime after the
start of WW2.

Yup the later ones ditched the gun for better underwater speed.
Some started looking more like what the Russians were running up into
the 60s and 70s like a Foxtrot.
This one is down the road a few hundred miles from you in San Diego
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...trot%20sub.jpg

I remember visiting San Diego and seeing that sub, the old sailing ship
and the big white boat in the background. It's a restaurant or
something, IIRC.

HMS Surprise is just another marine museum exhibit.
After dragging them around the Midway, the girls were done with boats
so I did not go aboard.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...rise%20bow.jpg

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...%20gangway.jpg

So the Brits had a HMS Surprise? I was stationed on
the USS Surprise (PG-97) for a while. Little faster
than it's British namesake:

http://funkyimg.com/i/2MEmU.jpg