Default Well, of course, we knew that!

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:09:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/29/2018 8:28 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:04:16 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/29/2018 5:53 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:

I don't know what the status of my grandparents was when they "landed"
here and got off the boats. Never discussed it with any of them. All
four of them became citizens at some point.

If they arrived by boat as my grandparents did in 1907, it's doubtful
that they entered the USA illegally. I recently came across my
grandfather's naturalization papers. He arrived from Sweden in 1907 at
the age of 17 and became naturalized in 1916. By then he was
married and had one son, my uncle, who was 10 years older than my
father. My uncle was a marine engineer. He and I shared the same
birthday (Oct 19th) although obviously he was here many years before
me.

More newcomers ;-)

(a little boating content)

Even found a picture of the ship my grandfather arrived on in Boston.

Also found his manifest ... he paid $10 for the voyage from Liverpool,
England via Greenland and then to Boston.

http://funkyimg.com/i/2MCaC.jpg

Most of my people seemed to arrive in the 1600s or 1700s. I have the
immigration records on quite a few but no manifests.
I have found them born in UK somewhere and dying in the US.
Digging up the immigration records is a little tougher some time.
I am just trying to get them all back to Europe right now. I have over
50 now but we are looking at "great to the eight or tenth power"
grandparents in a few cases so the power of 2 sends back a pretty big
number of immigrants. The Oklahoma people seem to be the newcomers,
getting here in the mid to late 1700s
The folks around the road from Harry seem to be the earliest, a few
showing birth in England in the late 1500s and death in St Mary's
county in the early 1600s. There is even a born in Jamestown guy there
but it was later (1630s). I was amazed a few old geezers lived into
their 80s and even early 90s. The other thing is the men lived longer
than the women in those days.
It is also amazing that the farther back I went, the better the
records. Right around the Civil War (+/- 20 years) is where the black
holes showed up although my German seemed to fall out of the sky in
1827.
This stuff can really get addictive once you figure out how to look at
the documents and toss the bad leads. Ancestry.Com will send you down
a rabbit hole now and then. I was poking around in Boston around 1621
for a while, then I figured out it was a bad link. I had to back up a
generation and start over.