John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Made a flight reservation for this weekend...

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 13:51:31 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 2:54:11 PM UTC-4, Its Me wrote:
And I am pumped about it!

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html

They'll be at a event at Owens Field in Columbia this weekend to raise money for Camp Kemo. There are only 15 B-17's left in airworthy condition, and it'll be amazing to get a ride in one.

My wife initially didn't act like she wanted to go up in it, but it turned out she was thinking it would be like the ride in the 1942 Waco biplane we went up in a couple of years ago (cramped). Once she realized we'd be able to get up and move around, she warmed to it. So when we got there, I asked if they had a seat left, and they did.

The flight was awesome. We were allowed to go anywhere on the plane except for the tail gunner's position and, of course, the belly and chin ball turrets. I even got to crawl under the cockpit and out into the nose gunner and bomber's position. Great views from there, and really good photo ops. Got some great pics and a video. The thing really was a flying fortress. Thirteen .50 cals onboard! The radio operator's gun was removed and the opening was open, so you could stand up and literally stick your head up and out while flying. You could kiss anything loose goodbye, it would get sucked out.

If you're the kind that likes this sort of thing, I recommend it. It was definitely a blast.

Glad to hear you had a great time and returned safely!