Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default The Fence Post Threads

wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 06:08:39 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I presented a problem, post hole filling with water, and many of us had
a decent discussion about
it. Most folks had some very fine suggestions, and I learned some things
about water-logged post
holes. As a Combat Engineer, I'd have told the Platoon Sergeant to get a
pump and keep the hole dry.
Nail some bracing on the post and dump in the concrete. And, I'd have
had the hole dug with an
auger. Couldn't do that here because the hole is within 2" of a gas line
- made of plastic,
according to the Miss Utility guy.

The nice thing was the discussion, without the dissension and politics.
Of course, there had to be a
couple exceptions.

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

Theoretically the gas line should be more than 24" down but from my
experience they lie. We hit one in Md that was about a foot down.
Since it was so close to the surface, I did not get charged but it was
tense for a little while. I think they may all be plastic if they were
put in since the Johnson administration. Mine was done in 1970 and it
was yellow plastic. It is pretty tough plastic but any kind of machine
will go right through it. There should also be a warning ribbon a foot
or so before you hit it. That was also missing on the one we hit and
another reason I got away with it. Since it was not in the right of
way, Miss Utility would not have marked anyway. The gas company was
really surprised it was even there. I was not on the engineering
drawings they had. My ex's aunt worked for the gas company in charge
of the dispatch center and she just had them put it in for us.
Officially the gas stopped about a block up the street.

Here PG&E will mark utilities outside the right of way. They were marking
up my sidewalk yesterday and sticking flags in the lawn. Do not understand
all the marks or flags. Poly line from meter to house is leaking. Takes
3 days for the city to issue a permit. We have smart meters, electronic,
and sent a letter I have a 12 gallon an hour leak. Took a week to find a
trenchless pipe replacement company who did our area.