True North[_2_] True North[_2_] is offline

Default New post stuff

Mr. Luddite

On 10/17/2018 7:20 PM, Bill wrote:Â*
Wayne.B wrote:Â*
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:54:57 -0400, John H. Â*
wrote:Â*
Â*
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:19:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:Â*
Â*
On 10/17/2018 1:42 PM, John H. wrote:Â*
A friend told me about this stuff:Â*
Â*
Â*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaIVIUVOyMÂ*
Â*
Will try it.Â*
Â*
Â*
Â*
I remember my dad using stuff like that back when I was just a kid.Â*
Didn't come in a bag though. Â*He had to glass vials with theÂ*
components in it. Â*He used it to put flotation foam on each endÂ*
of a canoe and also between the rafters on the underside of a raftÂ*
we had in a small lake.Â*
Â*
Only thing I noticed in the video is that there cannot be any standingÂ*
water in the hole. Â*I seem to remember you commenting that there wasÂ*
water or the water table was very high or something.Â*
Â*
Â*
Yeah, like I told Greg - I'm going to let things dry up a bit. ProjectÂ*
is now postponed until nextÂ*
week. We're going on a camping trip tomorrow.Â*

Â*
===Â*
Â*
John, I believe you're over thinking this thing. Â*I'd do it prettyÂ*
much the way Greg has suggested: Â*Mix up some concrete the usual wayÂ*
with some sand and gravel; Insert post in ground; Pour concrete aroundÂ*
it. Â*The concrete, being heavier than water, will sink to the bottomÂ*
and push the water up until it overflows. Â*Check post for vertical,Â*
open a beer, and come back in a couple of hours. Â*After all it's justÂ*
a mailbox, not a structural support for a high rise building. Â*:-)Â*
Â*

Â*
I would just use gravel. Â*Maybe quarter dust. Â*The small stuff that makesÂ*
great pathways. Â*A heck of a lot easier to replace the post when a snowplowÂ*
or idiot driver takes it out.Â*
Â*

"We call that "stone dust" around here. Â*You're right. Â*It's available inÂ*
various colors and looks nice as walkways."

Same as crusher dust?
There's also pea gravel used on walkways. Believe it's a quarter of an inch in diameter.