Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default New post stuff

On 10/17/2018 7:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:54:57 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:19:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/17/2018 1:42 PM, John H. wrote:
A friend told me about this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaIVIUVOyM

Will try it.

I remember my dad using stuff like that back when I was just a kid.
Didn't come in a bag though. He had to glass vials with the
components in it. He used it to put flotation foam on each end
of a canoe and also between the rafters on the underside of a raft
we had in a small lake.

Only thing I noticed in the video is that there cannot be any standing
water in the hole. I seem to remember you commenting that there was
water or the water table was very high or something.

Yeah, like I told Greg - I'm going to let things dry up a bit. Project
is now postponed until next
week. We're going on a camping trip tomorrow.

===

John, I believe you're over thinking this thing. I'd do it pretty
much the way Greg has suggested: Mix up some concrete the usual way
with some sand and gravel; Insert post in ground; Pour concrete around
it. The concrete, being heavier than water, will sink to the bottom
and push the water up until it overflows. Check post for vertical,
open a beer, and come back in a couple of hours. After all it's just
a mailbox, not a structural support for a high rise building. :-)

I would just use gravel. Maybe quarter dust. The small stuff that makes
great pathways. A heck of a lot easier to replace the post when a snowplow
or idiot driver takes it out.

We call that "stone dust" around here. You're right. It's available in
various colors and looks nice as walkways.