Paul

Default Boating story

Well then ... I will try not to assault you with a bazillion questions but
.... well I'm lying, here are a bazillion questions:

I think I do remember you talking about your diesel, you're replacing that
right? I think you said you thought it had been underpowered from the
beginning -- I might be wrong, sorry for my crappy memory. How many hours
did you have on it. I notice that it "only" gave you 20 years of service.

You said it's "almost" perfect. What would make it perfect? For you I mean
and I don't mean little stuff that might be broken, I mean what you do look
at and continually say "I wish ..."?

What is the difference between a tug and a trawler? I know the visual
difference between the actual working boats (the 18" rub rail on the tug
being a dead giveaway), but I have to admit that your tug looks like a
trawler to my inexperienced eye.

8.5kt so then it's a true displacement hull, not a "semi". As an experienced
boater what would be the limit of your exursions? I mean, at what point
would you say, "that I will not do"?

Single engine, my fear of fears. Do you have a wing engine? How do you deal
with that, or does it even bother you?

Again with the single engine but not on the redundancy side, what about
maneurverabilty? Bow thruster? That's a big ol' boat to be tucking into a
tight slip and I imagine a big keel on it. Love to hear your thoughts on
that.

And this is no question but as you know we bought our first boat this
summer. It's a planing hull, 30' long and a bunch of fun but we have quickly
learned that while plane and WOT is fun, we are a definitely a 10kt couple.
We love to piddle along. While our next boat (the ever-present next boat)
may be a planing hull for reasons I won't bore you with yet, we are without
question headed for a full displacement trawler. It may be a decade before
we get there but I would love to hear your input on the matter if you have
the time.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
That's yours?! Geez, I got all mixed up as to who owns what.

Oh man, that is a sweet ride. What is it?

36' 1983 Sundowner Tug. Built in Taiwan.
Single diesel (past tense). 8.5 kt cruise, about 2 gph. We think it's

almost
perfect for the Pacific NW waters- but ask 100 people to describe the

"perfect"
boat and you'll get at least 90 different answers. :-)