justan justan is offline

Default Here you go John ....

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 10/16/2018 9:08 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 19:44:56 -0400, Alex wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 17:31:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEaazdWUiLk
Looks good, except for the nails in the post. Don't want to deface this beautiful cedar. I'll think
up a workaround.

The cedar *will* rot. Paint the bottom (and the sides of the bottom) of
the post with cheap roof coating and you won't have to worry about
that. The pros do it here all the time.

Posts usually rot off right at the top of the concrete. That is why a
lot of people say not to use concrete at all.
If you are just setting them in dirt or compacted gravel (the option
we haven't discussed) I agree the coating is a good idea.

Many towns here in MA frown on or ban setting mailbox posts in concrete.
Too many snowplows are damaged.

By a 4x4? The last mailbox I put in was on a section of telephone
pole buried 5 feet in the ground. No concrete necessary.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/