Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Betsy displays some sense!

On 10/13/2018 12:18 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 05:31:57 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"

Ah, I think you are referring to industrial code requirements. Not sure
they all apply to residential wiring in a house but again, I am not
an electrician and don't even have a current code book. :-)

Nope 210.21(B)(2) applies to everyone
(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected
to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles
or outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord and-
plug-connected load in excess of the maximum
specified in Table 210.21(B)(2)
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Tabl...21%20B%202.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but doesn't "cord and plug" mean
an extension cord or the cord connected to the device
you plug into the receptacle (like a toaster)? If so, it sorta makes
sense. Tip off is that the 12 amps applies to both
15 amp and 20 amp branch circuits.

If I understand it correctly, a single, dedicated 20 amp outlet
with breaker and wire size (12 ga) can power a
plugged in device that draws up to 20 amps but
if that 20 amp branch circuit has two 20 amp outlets or more
you are not suppose to plug in anything that draws more than 12 amps.

If this is correct (probably isn't) who the hell enforces this?