Default Betsy displays some sense!

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 20:25:07 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/11/2018 8:12 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:42:41 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/11/2018 3:40 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 14:11:23 -0400, John H.
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/y7dezaq3

"The left is revving up attacks on capitalism just as workers on the bottom rungs are beginning to
benefit from the booming U.S. economy. According to last week's jobs report, unemployment has been
pushed back to its lowest level since 1969. Wages in blue-collar industries, such as construction
and maintenance, are rising faster than for white-collar workers. Pay for people without a college
education jumped almost 6 percent since last year -- triple the overall wage gain."

Gosh, I thought wage growth was stagnant.

There was an article in USA Today yesterday talking about .how wages
are going up across the board and some jobs are really taking off

BTW your link took me to Harbor Fright generators.

About that, why is my 5.5 KW Briggs 11 hp and theirs is 8?
They must have stronger horses in China

With no losses considered:

8 hp = 5.96Kw
11 hp = 8.2Kw

I completely forgot about a small generator I bought from a neighbor
last year. It was brand new, still in the box and she
decided to have a whole house generator installed instead. She
only wanted $200 for it but after looking it up I decided I'd be
ripping her off, so I gave her $300. It's rated at 4,750 peak watts
and 3800 watts continuous. Engine is 6.3 hp.

I put it together last spring and fired it up. Ran fine, was not
overly noisy (for a conventional type generator). It has electric
start which is nice and will run on gas or propane, although propane
is at a reduced output capacity. I ran it out of gas and stored it away
and, until just now, had forgotten I had it. It's a "Wren" that she got
from Home Depot:

https://tinyurl.com/ybef4hty

I keep hearing about the reduced output capacity on propane but I
don't see it. I will say fuel consumption is where the difference of
energy density shows up. At full load the gasoline consumption is
around 0.5 GPH and propane is more like 0.8 GPH although the gasoline
is easier to measure accurately. I am just going on a gauge on a 150
gallon tank and that is not very precise.
After a similar discussion on the real boat group I tested my
generator using my convection oven as the load.
This is 5402.7w running a 5500w generator on propane
http://gfretwell.com/Propaneproject/Onpropane.jpg
When I plugged in two 100w lights, it tripped the breaker before I
could take pictures.

The reduced capacity on propane is in the manufacturer's specs for the
generator.

It isn't a huge reduction. On gas it is rated at 4750 surge and 3800
running watts.

On propane the ratings drop a bit to 4350 surge and 3500 running watts.

So, 400 watt reduction in surge capacity and 300 watt reduction in
continuous running capacity.

Maybe it is just because my generator is using an 11hp engine. The
engine may be oversized for the generator head.
I really wonder if I could go with a bigger breaker because that is
what cooked off when I was doing the test. I am not screwing with it
tho since everything seems to be working OK for what I need.