Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default Gulf Coast...

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 20:32:10 -0400, wrote:

it really doesn't matter if we
throw a few Hummers into the volcano and put a solar panel on our
roof.

===

I agree but it's probably a step in the right direction. If nothing
else, it helps change our mindset and nudges technology along in the
right direction. Look at what's happening with electric cars. In
less than 10 years they have advanced from geek toys to very
respectable vehicles that will blow the doors off a 'vette at the drag
strip.

But do they actually save energy? I drive a 2014 Volt around town. About
2 miles per kilowatt hour. So if I charge in the middle of the night when
I get a really time of use rate of $0.123 a KWh. Remember this is
California with very high utility rates, $0.423 peak rate KWh. Comes out
to a buck a gallon for gas. Nice for me, thank the others for the subsidy.
I get about 33 mpg on gas. Lots of non hybrids get 45-50 mpg. Am I
really saving natural resources? Like a Tesla that states zero emissions
vehicle. How did that electricity get generated to charge the car, plus
all the rare earths mined to make the battery? I do have solar on the
roof. Still a wash to me if it will pay for itself. California,
probably. We have high electric rates and they keep climbing. East coast
with 4 moths of snow, may not be financial prudent without subsidized
costs. And will it save energy overall?