Default Hey John. How’s your trailer?

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 14:38:24 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

Mr. Luddite

"I was not referring to special cases. Â*I was referring only to whatÂ*
what the ratings for the various gauges are in the National ElectricalÂ*
Code. Â*In specialized equipment, like the systems my company madeÂ*
there where minor variances for wire insulation type (THHN, etc.) and ifÂ*
it was multi-strand or solid Â*(we never used solid), length of wire run,Â*
etc, but in general 14 was ok for up to 15 amps and 12 was good for 20.Â*

One thing I learned recently (I am not an electrician) is you can putÂ*
multiple, 15 amp receptacles on one 20 amp branch circuit with a 20 ampÂ*
breaker. Wire to each must be 12 ga. Â*Makes no sense to me butÂ*
apparently it's allowed by code."Â*

Wonder if they assume you won't have everything turned on at the same time?

That is called "load diversity" and why your service entrance cables
can be sized 83% lower than what your service disconnect breaker size
would dictate.