whenindoubt

Default Newbie 24ft cruiser questions?

Arrgggg. Now I'm back where I started. You guys make a good point. Less $$$
for the boat, all new parts. I'll at least know the condition they are in.
The outdrive took a serious hit. It had a golfball size chunk taken out of
the leading edge of the skeg and the prop edges all had ragged banged up
edges. Could a hit like that do engine or transom damage or are outdrives
supposed to give on impact. i.e. sacrifice itself for the sake of the boat?

"Paul" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
Actually on that one I would be on the other side of the line, this way

you
would have a new outdrive and prop, new ac/heat and new bottom paint.

"whenindoubt" wrote in message
Thanks Bob,
I just did the math. Pay $7500 more up front for the better boat, or
$3000-4000 plus labor for the new outdrive and prop. $2000 for ac/heat

and
maybe $500 for bottom paint. There is the $7500 difference in price.

"Bob D." wrote in message
I'll disagree with previous posters. I don't think we have enough
information to give specific advice on which boat is better for you.

It
depends on what your willing to do youself in a project boat. I also

think
that the boat without bottom paint may be a good thing. It might be
easier to inspect for gel coat crack which *MAY* be the sign of a

stressed
hull.

Someone commented that if the outdrive is banged out of shape then

that
might indicate the overall care that was given to the vessel, that

seems
to be sound advice to take into consideration. Talk to the owner

about
it
and giage their resonse. See if fall toward "we hit something late in

the
season, and havent had it repaired" to "It don't seem to hurt none".

You
get the idea.

For a new (if they still make them) Alpha I outdrive, expect to pay

$3000
to $4000 dollars for the unit itself. YMMV on installation charges.

Have
all the bell housing seals replaced and the engine coupling aligned as
well for about 200-300 dollars more.

I don't know what bottom painting cost as I've always done the work

myself.

Good luck in your purchase and let us know how it works out!

Bob Dimond

In article ,

"whenindoubt"
wrote:

Can anyone give me some ballpark prices I'd expect to pay for the

following
items?

I'm looking at 2 similar boats at vastly different prices. The

cheaper
one
lacks bottom paint and factory air/heat. The outdrive is real banged

up
too.
I think the repairs might cost more than the price difference

between
the
two boats, but I don't know. I'm a newbie and have not owned a 24ft

boat
before.

How much for:
A yard applied bottom paint job? 24ft boat.

A new outdrive unit and prop for a 1996 mercruiser. I think the

original
is
an alpha one.

An airconditioning/heat system that is like a factory installed job.

Not
portable.

Thanks for the help.