Boating All Out Boating All Out is offline

Default Acronis to the rescue again.

In article ,
says...

Yesterday I was trying to get a song from "the Wire" and I found a web
site that seemed to offer all of them. After browsing around a little
I noticed my machine was crawling along. I went to Amazon and got the
song once I figured out what it was but my machine continued to crawl.
I poked around a little and figured out Firefox was hosed. Then I
figured out other things were screwed up so I looked at the virus log
and saw about 50 blocked attempts at the time I was on that site.
Evidently something got in so I tried to do a restore and found out
Acronis on the system was hosed too, along with System Restore.
Screw It We went for a boat ride ;-)
Then I went for the bootable media before I went to bed last night,
set up a restore from an offline backup disk and when I got up today,
all was well.

As you found out, Windows System Restore is unreliable.
It was unreliable with XP, and hasn't improved.
I'm surprised you went to a purchase site after suspecting
something was amiss. I use only a bootable rescue disk to
restore images. After all, the system has been infected.
Free Macrium Reflect. Takes 5 minutes max.
But with Windows 10 I don't get infected anymore, no matter
what sites I browse. Defender works fine.