Gould 0738

Default '84 28' Bayliner Contessa

I am looking at an '84 28' Bayliner Contessa. The price is under $16K
with 480 hours on the boat. Boat is in good condition. Any words of
wisdom on this boat?

Lot of boat for the money. Nine skazillion sold over the years. Too much
superstructure for the beam and draft, IMO, but others will disagree. (Tippy in
beam seas with more than one or two people on the flybridge.) Very tight
quarters in the cabin, but again that's just my opinion. If you can live with
the limitations, it is a lot of boat for the money and it's easy to see why
people continue to buy them.

Have your surveyor (yep, even at this price range......got $16k to throw away?)
pay extra attention to the cored hull to make sure it has stayed dry. Probably
has a Volvo duoprop outdrive......look very carefully at that as well as the
engine.
$$Big to overhaul. Low hours on a 20 year old boat don't automatically equate
to good mechanical condition.