Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default The Idiot Speaketh II

On 6/12/2018 5:23 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:11:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/12/2018 10:10 AM, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 05:02:13 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Keyser Soze
Pulls off what, exactly, Timmy? Trump gave up military exercises and got
nothing in return.

You still refuse to recognize the effort don’t you?

That’s ok.

Harry knows nothing of military exercises. By 'giving them up', we are saving a whole potfull of
money. Their biggest effect was showing off to the North Koreans. We don't need to do that.

Plus, those in the left are acting as if Trump has cancelled military
exercises with South Korea forever. He never said that. The exercises
are a bone of contention with the North and he has canceled them for the
time being in a good faith gesture to further the possibilities of a
to be negotiated formal agreement with the North. If those negotiations
fail you can betyour ass the exercises will resume.

That brings up another point. The comments I am hearing from the left
make it sound like the "agreement" that was signed is the end of
discussions. It's only the opening sentence in any negotiated deal
that is made with North Korea.

I had suggested that postponing these exercises would be a good idea a
couple weeks ago. Our reediness will not suffer much if we wait a
while to do it and it may help to dial the rhetoric down a few
notches.
It is clear military threats are not really that effective on the N
Koreans. It just seems to feed into their narrative that they simply
want to defend themselves.
I do believe trying to bring them into world commerce will do more to
change the regime than any threat. Kim has seen the west and he know
that is where he would like to be.

I am not sure that military threats have no influence on North Korea and
Kim. Who was the last president (before Trump) who threatened to
destroy North Korea if they continued their nuke threats?

Clinton has recalled that he had private thoughts about stopping NK,
even if it meant war after it was discovered that they were illegally
processing weapons grade plutonium but he never threatened to destroy them.

Not only did Trump threaten, he deployed three battlegroups off the
coast to make it clear he meant what he said.

Next thing you know, Kim released three detained Americans and he and
Trump meet in Singapore.