Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Carver boats - a big mistake?

On 6/3/2018 7:49 PM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
Where the heck are these posts coming from? They are ancient.

But, 1-1/4" thick solid fiberglass is pretty thick for a boat hull.

Maybe. But not for a boat if your sized diesel powered Navigator.

I’d think...

I think you would be surprised. I can't remember the details now but I
recall investigating that when I saw the thickness of the hull when
they cut the holes for the thruster. Most fiberglass hulls on a boat of
that approximate size is less than an inch thick. Fiberglass is strong
stuff. We are talking solid glass, below the waterline and not upper
sections that are cored.

The guy that built Navigators (Jules Marshall) believed in "when in
doubt, make it stout". He was known for building strong boats at the
expense of some of super fancy interiors. I remember the stringers in
the engine room were about 15 inches high and 2-2.5 inches thick. I've
been in many boats of that approximate size and never saw anything like
those in that boat.