Flying Tadpole

Default Foul Weather Sailing

The navigator © wrote:

Are you saying the boat has bouyancy or do you?

The boat. I'm not in LIS, remember.

You **** yourself over a
missed tack? You should try relaxing more. Chill out. Sailing is fun...

Ha. I'm sure I would have seen the change on my yellow foulies.
The wind then was 40kn, middle of a squall, and I was trying out
to windward using just the ultimate 3-reefed main, no mizzen. I
missed one tack, got cross with myself and wrathfully fell off a
bit, then whipped her round without bothering to look at what was
coming. Doing a whale breach or for that matter actually
shipping it brown (remember, I do not have blue or green water)
over the actual deck on the way down was not something I ever
expected to be doing in a 30ft ballasted sailboat in a 12 foot
deep lake with a normal maximum 5 foot wave. Serves me right for
not looking and not letting that set go by before tacking her

Flying Tadpole

Cheers MC

Flying Tadpole wrote:

I don't. I'm always tethered to a boat with full positive
buoyancy. I did start to wonder whether to stick one on Sunday
last, though. Especially when I mistimed a tack and the horizon
appeared under the bow, followed by shipping it brown over the
deck...

FT