Thomas Stewart

Default how a sail works, who can help me explain?

PIM,

I for one, hope you stick around. You are an asset to the group.

We may be a bit Harsh in reply but; "we call'em as we see'em!" I kind of
like it that way. We do have probably more than our share of asshole but
that is to be expected in an unmoderated group. They can be ignored and
and sometimes played with.

You, though have something to contribute. Hang around and get to know
us. We liken ourselves to a cross section of a public bar, where
everyone is allowed to have an opinion (Good or Bad)

AND NOW; Your posting. Bernoulli is incomplete as far as sail function
is concern. So is Newton. That is why the designers use Coanda and
circulation.
You as much said there are voids in the Theories, and you're right.
Remember humans were using sails centuries before Bernoulli and Newton
were born and they designed and used some pretty different sails that
worked well. Damn well. Those that come to mind; The Vikings, Egyptian,
Polynesians, the traders in the Indian Ocean and China Seas. They had
square sails, fore and aft Lateen and Junk sails,Claw Sails and a
triangular sail on the Nile before Christ was born. It get hard ,
sometimes to remember the sails came first and the theories much later.
It's no wonder these theories are incomplete. The thinkers didn't have
sail in mind and certainly not wings.

I do believe that all theories, though incomplete, if usable should not
be abandon. Bernoulli works well for sailboaters but fall way short on
Hvy Than Aircraft. With powered flight even Newton's Laws need
modification. I truly don't see a need for Newton's 2nd Law; (Lift=mA)
in sailing

So, in conclusion let's use what works for us and keep all that applies

Stick with us, you thick headed Dutchman, I'm getting to like you

AND: "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom
SV "Pneuma"
Gulf 29 Pilothouse Sloop